Thanksgiving in Thailand, What We Are Thankful For
2013 has been quite an amazing year for us, as we finally committed to one of our life long dreams, moving abroad. It was right around Thanksgiving last year when we made the decision to pack up our belongings, move our of our apartments, quit our jobs and buy tickets half way around the world for the adventure of a lifetime. So this year, while having Thanksgiving in Thailand, we wanted to write about what we are thankful for.
We have been living in Thailand for almost 9 months now, and we have met some life long friends, made amazing memories, pushed ourselves, pushed each other, gone out of our comfort zone and tried to take it all in as we go. We had no idea what to expect when we boarded that plane in LA, no idea who we would meet, what situations we would get in to, or just how big that spider would be we found by our front door, but we loved every minute of it and would do it all over again!
We will never be able to think of all the things are are thankful for this year, but we are going to give it a shot!
– Never ending support from our friends and family.
– The guts to up and leave behind everything that we knew.
– Finding another person just as crazy to fly away with.
– Our little apartment in Karon Beach and the stray grey kitty who became our friend.
– The smiles we get from the kind woman across the street who washes our laundry.
– Meeting amazing expats in Phuket from Ireland, England, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Canada and beyond.
– Being able to show friends and family Thailand when they were able to visit (the rest of you, get over here!)
– No monthly cell phone, health insurance, car, internet or cable bills!
– It takes $3 to fill our motorbike gas tank.
– The delicious Thai food we seem to never tire of.
– Good, cheap beer.
– Skype, for allowing us to feel like we are in the same room with friends and family.
– The surprisingly fast growth of this blog!
– The ability to work from wherever we want, and create the lifestyle we dream of.
– Being able to watch NFL and NBA games from 8,000 miles away in the middle of the night when Marina is asleep (she loves it!).
– The chance to work on our relationship daily, even with the added pressure of living abroad.
– Apple TV (petty we know, but a life saver nonetheless).
– The people of Thailand for embracing us into their culture and make us feel welcome.
– And lastly, each other, we could never have made such a leap without the love and support of a partner by our sides.
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? No matter what country you are from, creed, color or sex, we are all thankful for something, no matter how big or small. We challenge you to think back over the past year of your life and think about the amazing people in your life and what you are most thankful for. Think about it and leave a comment below, we’d love to hear from you!
Jeff Johns is the co-founder and editor of Latitude 34 Travel Blog. Through 65 countries on 6 continents he has accumulated a seemingly endless stream of odd information, interesting stories and helpful tips and tricks to better travel. Jeff’s goal is to visit all 204 countries on Earth before he is too senile to remember them all.
A graduate of the Visual Journalism program at the Brooks Institute, his true passions lay in honest visual storytelling, documentary filmmaking, Thai food and a good laugh.
Together with his girlfriend Marina, they run Latitude 34 Travel Blog as a source of helpful information for those who love to travel or those who simply dream of it. If you have a comment or suggestion, send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and they’ll respond super fast!