Las Vegas Holidays – Why You Have to Take One
After living in Los Angeles for the last decade has provided Marina and I countless opportunities for weekend adventures to Las Vegas. We’ve gone to Las Vegas for my birthday, Halloween, boys weekends, New Years, girls weekends and just about everything in between. We often take it for granted, but let’s be honest every has Las Vegas holidays on their bucket list somewhere.
While Las Vegas Holidays are probably most popular for young 20 somethings, there are a surprising amount of family friendly activities away from all the glitz and glamour of the strip, although no trip to Las Vegas is complete without at least experiencing all you can of the strip during the evening hours.
So whether you are a college student, have young kids, want a romantic getaway or are retired and looking for a fun way to spend some of that hard earned cash, here are our reasons why a trip to Vegas is a must, at least once.
1. Let Loose – Vegas is well known for its signature catch phrase “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” and while that doesn’t have to mean waking up on a dark alley and not remembering a thing, a la the Hangover, Las Vegas really is a perfect place to just let loose and relax. Turn off your cell phone, unplug your computer and take yourself off the grid for a weekend!
2. The Food – Diet, what diet? Few places on Earth have as many different dining options as the Las Vegas strip, and no trip would be complete without trying as many different restaurants as you can! For some, the endless buffets are the way to go, while others prefer the romantic dining options offered by luxury restaurants in casinos like Ceasars Palace or the Ballagio. We’ve tried many restaurants, but the Spice Market buffet at Planet Hollywood is quite spectacular and not to be missed!
3. Take a Chance – No place better than Las Vegas to spin the wheel, roll the dice and try your hand at gambling. Marina and I have never been big gamblers, but when in Rome right? We love playing the penny slots as a fun way to feel a bit of excitement without risking to lose your wallet, but last time we were in Las Vegas, Marina put down $10 on black at the roulette table and walked away with $20 on one spin, so take a chance!
4. The Sights and Sounds – Vegas is simply sensory overload! From the blinking lights, street performers, the crowds, concerts, bells, whistles and non stop hustle and bustle, Las Vegas holidays often leave us feeling absolutely worn out upon our return home. However, this does not mean you should not experience it all! Take the time to walk around the strip, catch a concert or a show, see a magician and make sure to watch the fountain show at the Ballagio, they are spectacular and go off every 30 minutes.
5. Everything Else – Beyond what we already listed, Las Vegas has some great things you might not expect. When Marina and I visited a couple years ago, the Luxor had two amazing exhibits running, both the Bodies and the Titanic exhibits. We only visited the Bodies one, but man it was interesting and not at all what we thought we would get into during Halloween weekend in Vegas! Other activities include the helicopter rides over the Grand Canyon as well as visiting the Hoover Dam, only a short drive away!
*Post may contain info from travel partners we work with.
Jeff Johns is the co-founder and editor of Latitude 34 Travel Blog. Through 65 countries on 6 continents he has accumulated a seemingly endless stream of odd information, interesting stories and helpful tips and tricks to better travel. Jeff’s goal is to visit all 204 countries on Earth before he is too senile to remember them all.
A graduate of the Visual Journalism program at the Brooks Institute, his true passions lay in honest visual storytelling, documentary filmmaking, Thai food and a good laugh.
Together with his girlfriend Marina, they run Latitude 34 Travel Blog as a source of helpful information for those who love to travel or those who simply dream of it. If you have a comment or suggestion, send them an email at email@example.com and they’ll respond super fast!